Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Call The Office
(03) 9749 1178
1/483 Sayers Road, Hoppers Crossing, VIC 3029
The four permanent adult teeth at the upper and lower back corners of your mouth are called the wisdom teeth. They are the last teeth to erupt in the mouth.
Some people never develop wisdom teeth, and some grow wisdom teeth normally, just like other molars. In rare cases, wisdom teeth are impacted, or stuck in or below the jawline.
Reasons for Extracting Wisdom Teeth
Many people develop impacted wisdom teeth — teeth that don’t have enough space to develop in the mouth or grow properly.
Impacted wisdom teeth may develop partially or completely.
Impacted wisdom teeth must be pulled. Extraction of the wisdom teeth is not like that of normal ones.
An impacted wisdom tooth may be removed because of the following:
- Growth at an angle toward the next tooth.
- Growth at an angle toward the back of the mouth.
- Growth at a right angle to the other teeth as if the wisdom tooth is “lying down” within the jawbone.
- Growth straight up or down like other teeth but stay trapped within the jawbone.
You will likely experience a number of complications if you delay the removal of your wisdom tooth, including:
- Serious pain
- Food and other particles trapped behind or between the wisdom tooth
- Dental infection or gum disease
- Partially erupted wisdom tooth decay
- Damage to surrounding teeth, tissues, or bones
- Development of cyst surrounding the wisdom tooth
- Complications with orthodontic treatments
The Wisdom Teeth Extraction Procedure
During the wisdom tooth extraction procedure, your Hoppers Crossing dentist or oral surgeon:
- Cuts through your gum tissue, exposing the tooth and bone
- Takes out the portion of bone that blocks entry to the tooth root
- Divides the tooth into sections if it’s easier to remove in smaller pieces
- Takes out the tooth
- Cleans the site of the pulled tooth of any debris from the tooth or the bone
- Stitches the wound to promote healing
- Places gauze on the site to help control bleeding and to help a blood clot form
After Surgery Care
Patients who undergo extraction surgery typically recover after a week without any complications. The recovery period will depend on how complicated the extraction process was, the type of anaesthesia you choose, your diet during recovery, and preventive measures for complications.
It is important to keep your head elevated for the first three days. Never let your head tilt below your heart. Always remember that the site is a wound in your jaw, and it needs healing. Use pillows to elevate your head when lying down on your bed.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction at Sayers Dental Aesthetics & Implants
Wisdom teeth extractions performed at Sayers Dental Aesthetics & Implants are guaranteed safe and effective. Your treatment plan is carefully tailored specifically for you!
We are located at 483 Sayers Road in Hoppers Crossing.
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.